-ㄹ/을 때 When + Subject + Verb
August 25, 2009 by tailieutienghan
-ㄹ/을 때 (l/eul ttae) is the grammatical structure that expresses “when + subject + verb” in Korean. This grammatical structure is used to express the time of the verb, or the time of occurrence of the verb. This form is used in the present and the future tenses. When you want to express the past, 았/었/였 is added between the verb stem and this grammatical structure.
This construction can be translated as “when (subject) (verb)” as in “When I eat…” This clause is a non-final clause, so it must have another clause to form a complete sentence.
Verb stems ending in a vowel + -ㄹ 때
– 가다 (gada) = to go
– 가(다) + ㄹ 때 = 갈 때 = when (you) go
Verb stems ending in a consonant + -을 때
– 읽다 (igda) = to read
– 읽(다) + 을 때 = 읽을 때 = when (you) read
1. 집에 갈 때는 자전거를 타요. [가다] [타다]
(jib-e gal ttae-neun jajeongeo-reul tayo)
– I ride a bicycle when I go home.
2. 학교 갈 때 같이 가자. [가다]
(hakgyo gal ttae gachi gaja)
– When you go to school, let's go together.
3. 일할 때 전화하지 마. [일하다] [전화하다]
(ilhal ttae jeonhwahaji ma)
– Don't call me when I'm working.
4. 공부할 때 음악을 들어요. [듣다]
(gongbuhal ttae eumak-eul deureoyo)
– I listen to music when I study.
5. 아플 때는 많이 자야 돼요. [아프다] [자다]
(apeul ttae-neun mani jayadwaeyo)
– When you're sick you have to sleep a lot.
koreanclass101- Copy right by http://360korea.com