-ㄹ/을 줄 알다/모르다 (not) know how to do
August 25, 2009 by tailieutienghan
ㄹ(을)줄 알다/모르다 is used to express the knowledge of ability, capability or capacity to do something. It is translated as “to know how to do” or “to not know how to do.” The last verb in this grammatical structure is either 알다 (alda) – to know, to 모르다 (moreuda) – to not know.
The last verb 알다/모르다 (alda/moreuda) is where tense and politeness level is expressed.
1. Verb stems that end in vowels use -ㄹ 줄 알다/모르다
하다 (hada) – to do
하 (ha) – verb stem
하 + ㄹ 줄 알다 = 할 줄 알다. (to know how to do.)
2. Verb stems that end in consonants use -을 줄 알다/모르다
읽다 (ilkda) – to read
읽 (ilk) – verb stem
읽 + 을 줄 모르다 – 읽을 줄 모르다. (don't know how to read)
1. 영어 할 줄 알아요? (yeongeo hal jul alayo)
Do you know how to speak English?
2. 스키 탈 줄 알아요? (seuki tal jul alayo)
Do you know how to ski?
3. 저는 저거 쓸 줄 몰라요. (jeo-neun jeogeo sseul jul mollayo)
I don't know how to use that.
koreanclass101- Copy right by http://360korea.com