-만큼 as much as, to the extent of
August 26, 2009 by tailieutienghan
-만큼 (makeum) is used to indicate an extent or a degree, by comparing the subject or object to something else. It comes after a noun and it means 'as much as' or 'equal to'.
(1) Noun + -만큼
♣ 손예진 (Son Yejin) – a Korean actress
▷ 손예진 + -만큼
▷ 손예진만큼 (Son Yejin-mankeum) – as much as Son Yejin
▷▷ 저는 손예진만큼 예뻐요. (na-neun SonYejin-mankeum yeppeoyo)
= I am as pretty as Son Yejin.
♣ 그것 (geugeot) – that
▷ 그것 + 만큼
▷ 그것만큼 (geugeot-mankeum) – as much as that
▷ 이것은 그것만큼 좋지 않아요. (igeos-eun geugeotm-ankeum jochi anayo)
= This one is not as good as that one.
(2) Verb A + -ㄴ/는/은/ㄹ/을 + 만큼 + Verb B
♣ Verb A should be in the adnominal form to modify 만큼, and this structure can be translated as “Verb A + so much that + Verb B” or “Verb A + enough to + Verb B”.
▷ 놀라다 (Verb A – to be surprised) + 비싸다 (Verb B – to be expensive)
▷▷ 놀랄 만큼 비싸다 = to be expensive enough to be surprising
▷ 날아가다 (Verb A – to fly away) + 세다 (Verb B – to be strong)
▷▷ 날아갈 만큼 바람이 세다 = The wind is so strong that I might fly away.
1. 나는 장동건만큼 멋있어. [멋있다] (na-neun jangdonggeon-mankeum meosisseo)
= I am as cool as Jangdonggeon is.
2. 이 케익은 스위스 쵸코렛만큼 맛있어. [맛있다] (i keik-eun seuwiseu chokoret-mankeun masisseo)
= This cake is as delicious as Swiss chocolate is.
3. 서울은 홍콩만큼 야경이 예뻐요. [예쁘다] (seoul-eun hongkong-mankeum yagyeong-i yeppeoyo)
= Seoul has a night view as beautiful as the one that Hongkong has.
4. 제가 돈 낸 만큼 주세요. [내다, 주다] (je-ga don naen mankeum juseyo)
= Please give me as much as I paid mone for.
5. 놀랄 만큼 빨라요. [빠르다] (nollal mankeum ppallayo)
= It's fast enough to surprise you.
koreanclass101- Copy right by http://360korea.com